Tuesday 22 August 2017

significance of focused tasks in Maths Whizz

In my previous post I mentioned how I was using the focused task section of Math Whizz to fill gaps and boost learning. I noticed the biggest area for improvement was solving word problems, so Week 5 was the week of that!

I set the task on Monday, and talked with the kids about the graph, and our average age in word problems. Then we talked about our goal and how each child needed to get through 4 progressions in order to get a green tick next to their name!

It is now Wednesday and the shift has been amazing! In 3 days, the kids have moved nearly 4 months! We celebrated this as a class, and talked about if this was the shift in 3 days, imagine the shift we could see for the remaining 5 weeks of Term 3!


NB: Math whizz is used as a supplementation tool, not as a substitution for lessons and teacher time. It is just making sure the tool is used so that it is as effective as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment